Acne can range in severity from a relatively small number of whiteheads, to a proliferation of cysts and nodules, which can be as physically painful as they are psychologically upsetting.
Severe cystic acne can be resistant to most treatments, and in fact cystic acne treatment can produce side effects that are as upsetting as the condition itself. For the many sufferers of this kind of acne however, refusing treatment is not an option, so here are some things to be aware of before undergoing your cystic acne treatment.
The causes of cystic acne are, like other types of the condition, associated with the over production of oil by glands in the skin. There remains no definitive cure for any of the acne types, and the ways in which available treatments work is not fully understood. Treating cystic acne can be difficult – severe cystic acne is usually resistant to topical treatments, and some of the medications that are commonly used, such as tetracycline. Cystic acne can be extremely upsetting for the sufferer, especially cystic acne in women, and though treating the condition can be harsh, it is usually, thankfully, well worth going through.
The most common tool in treating cystic acne is Accutane, or isotretinoin. Though this is a very effective treatment for severe cystic acne, it can bring unwanted side effects. Here are a few tips to help ease you through your treatment:
- Accutane has an extremely drying effect, resulting in chapped lips and dry eyes. You might want to ensure that you carry an effective lip balm with you at all times during treatment, and contact lens wearers might find it more comfortable to return to wearing glasses for the duration of treatment.
- Accutane can also cause muscle aches – gentle exercise can help, but ensure that you rest regularly also.
- Accutane can have adverse effects on your cholesterol levels and lead to abnormal liver enzyme production. Accutane can also give rise to feelings of depression. Report any changes in your mood or your general health to your doctor straightaway.
- Accutane can have extremely damaging effects on a developing fetus, therefore you MUST NOT become pregnant while taking this drug. Ensure that you use birth control at all time during your treatment.
- Cystic acne treatment can undoubtedly give rise to certain side effects, but these should all subside once treatment is complete. And for the many patients who have completed treatment, the wonderful results have been well worth it.
Source: Peter Crump