If you want to control acne breakouts, you need to supplement your diet with fish oils which contain omega-3 and omega-6 oils. These fish oil also contains EPA and DHA fatty acids which are necessary for creating prostaglandins.
Normally, enzymes in your body break down omega-6 into DGLA, AA, EPA and DHA fatty acids.
Dihomo-gamma-linolenic acid (DGLA)
Arachidonic Acid (AA)
Eicosapentaenoic Acid (EPA)
Docosahexaenoic Acid (DHA)
These four fatty acids eventually change into prostaglandins.
What are prostaglandins?
Prostaglandins are chemical hormones that come from omega-3 and omega-6 oils and that help, regulate every function in your cells and organs.
Postaglandins also keep androgen hormones in control so that excess sebum is not produce in the hair follicle, which results in acne. This is the reason why Essential Fatty Acids – Omega-3 and Omega-6 – are critical foods to eat. However, eating plenty essential fatty acids may not insure that you produce enough EPA and DHA, which produce the essential prostaglandins.
It is critical for acne and more importantly for your health that you get enough EPA and DHA in your cells and organs so they can produce the required prostaglandins. To increase the prostaglandins in your cell walls, it is necessary for you to take a fish supplement, which contains both the EPA and DHA. Of course eating salmon, halibut, and mackerel twice a week will be a plus in providing your body with more EPA and DHA.
Here’s what I use daily. Spectrum Essentials puts out an excellent product called
- Omega-3 Norwegian Fish Oil
- Two capsules contains:
- EPA – 360mg
- DHA – 240mg
- Omega-3 – 892mg
- Stearic, Lauric, Palmitic Acids - 508mg
Using the Omega-3 Norwegian Fish Oil is critical in getting relief from acne, so take two capsules per meal.
When your body creates prostaglandins, it creates a good prostaglandin and a bad prostaglandin. Here’s how to encourage the production of good prostaglandins.
- Maintain a ratio of two times more omega-6 than omega-3 in your diet.
- Eating too much omega-6 can lead to producing excess bad prostaglandins.
- Take a multi-vitamin and minerals with your meals to provide these nutrients for breaking down the essential fatty acids into prostaglandins
- Reduce the amount of meat, saturated fat, dairy, and eggs you eat to reduce the production of AA, which blocks the activities of the good prostaglandins
- Eat cold water fish at least twice a week to provide EPA and DHA to your diet
Include at least 20% of your diet calories as good fats – omega oils and fish oil. This is essential for controlling the excess activity of your hormones and reducing the inflammation of your acne.
Source: Rudy Silva